Saturday, February 23, 2013

Happy Thinking Day!

Happy World Thinking Day from Sangam! For all of you non-Girl Scout readers, every February 22nd Girl Scouts and Girl Guides around the world celebrates our global sisterhood and renews our promise to make the world a better place. 

 

In 2010, I celebrated Thinking Day with Kenyan Girl Guides in Londiai. In 2011, I was at Our Cabana in Mexico with the Guías de México. This year I was with The Bharat Scouts and Guides in India! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Sangam family with the World Thinking Day event participants joined the Bharat Scouts and Guides at their Scout facility in Pune. It was so much fun to celebrate with them. The events included honoring Boy Scout and Girl Guide founders, Lord and Lady Baden-Powell, recognizing the outstanding scouts from various units and a fantastic dance performance by the visually impaired scouts. The day also included an hour of activity time with the local guides and those of us from Sangam. Steff and I led the group of visually impaired Boy Scouts though building paper sculptures.

 

In the evening, Sangam invited members of the local community to join in a Thinking Day ceremony around the Thinking Day tree. I think since I was 14, I've always choked up a bit when I think about the power Girl Scouts and Girl Guides have to change the world and this year was no different.

 

The really fantastic day ended with a jump into the Sangam pool with my fellow Tare and little dancing to Ignite by the famed Melinda Carroll. 


Our way is clear as we march on,

And see! Our flag on high,

Is never furled throughout the world,

For hope shall never die!

We must unite for what is right


In friendship true and strong...

 

 

The Thinking Day Tree

 


No comments:

Post a Comment